Sunday, November 9, 2008

A week like no other

This past week has been quite like no other. I have had some pretty high highs and bizarrely low lows. As I elaborated in the previous post I saw a village fall victim to cruel and unusual punishment. I watched the eyes of those hungry and tired look me in the eyes with fear. I watched a nation elect someone who stands for change and hope or the United States of America, from the other side of the world. Where ever I go I can hear the somewhere in the alleyways a faint voice accentuating the word "Obama". Obamerica.

I stared in a bizarre amazement as we drove past a man that had more than likely fallen victim to a ton of iron and steel lying partially on the road, dead. That very same day I watched a newly born calf stand up for the first time. I felt the great hospitality of a village that seemed genuinely excited to see us. Within that one day I had seen the spectrum of life. The beginning and the end.

This weekend I got to peer briefly into the minds of our teachers when it comes to relationships and girls. I became very aware that there are universals among men and their understanding of women. That we have absolutely no clue why they do the things they do.

So many things have happened. I know that my fellow American students can articulate their ideas and their experiences really well, but for some reason I cannot recently. I have begun to internalize things and don't really want to talk about them. Not just bad things that bother me, but also good things, things that I just want to keep to myself for a while. I am finding that I am doing this more and more...keeping things to myself. I am not sure how I feel about it and I am afraid that when I get home I may upset people for not talking too much about all of the things that I have experienced, but then again I may talk too much...who knows.

I have 5 more weeks here. I still have a lot of growing to do. A lot of things that need to be figured out. Things that need to be thought through. I hope it is enough time.

Last but not least, I want to say Happy Birthday to my parents. Sorry I haven't emailed...for some reason whenever I get on to email you the internet is either out, I can't log into my mail or some other bizarre thing happens...So HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM AND DAD! LOVE YOU!!!

Peace,
Peter

No comments: