Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Singing with the Maasai

Tuesday took us close to where we went on Friday. The church was packed with standing room only, creating a nice oven to sit in. Tim, Steve, and I had learned our lesson from Sunday and brought rags to wipe the sweat off our brow and fan ourselves with. There were several choirs there, including "Wartburg". The four of us had the honor of singing in front of the congregation. We chose to sing the song "Sanctuary" and actually pulled it off fairly well. I was quite amazed out our little quartet. During offering the Maasai pastors and Maasai evangelists gathered together in Morani ya Yesu (Morani is the age group of Maasai men that are Warriors) and had their own choir. Luka decided that it would be great fun if he brought me up with them to sing. So here was Luka and I standing with a group of Maasai. As we "danced" and sang, I couldn't help but feel connected better to the people that I have come to know and respect over these past few months. It has been quite the experience here.

After the service Tim and I bought a goat at the auction for on of the evangelists. It was a little different auction this time because there were several goats and a cow up for grabs. I know that in the past I have heard people that came here at one point in time or another have bought goats and cattle, but since we have been here anything bigger than a chicken has been a rarity. Most of the people we see are very very poor and are not able to give up any of their animals for the sake of charity. I am not saying that the people at this Maasai village were rich by any means, just that they had goats and cattle to donate.

Wednesday we head out to a Maasai village near a secondary school that PH spoke at a few weeks ago. It is a highly Muslim populated area, so it should be interesting to see how it goes. It's not that there is going to be trouble or anything, but I like to go into the heavy muslim populated areas and see the interaction of the people.


Peace,
PHW

No comments: