Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Chinese know their herbs

I thought that I would give everybody an update on my health. I am starting to feel better today. I started taking some form of an ancient Chinese herbal supplement (the name escapes me) for my malaria on Monday night. It is apparently one of the best things to take around this area for the particular strain of malara that I have. I wasn't sure if it was working at first because I felt no change in my condition on Tuesday, but this morning I started to feel better. As the day has progressed I have not felt all that bad. I mean of course there were sometimes today that were worse than others, but it has been an overall improvement. Hopefully my condition will just get better as the days go on.

It is the the end of Ramadan here, so in celebration we had the afternoon off. We will also get tomorrow afternoon off as well. Since I am really in no shape to wander around to far, this is offering to be a perfect time to do some nice reflecting. Lately I have been reflecting about cheese, and how much I miss it. Gouda, Swiss, cheddar, colby-jack, mozzarella, feta, and brie oh how you will all be ingested when I get back. I don't know if it is the malaria or if I am pregnant, but I have been having odd cravings for things. Pickles, brats, sauerkraut (I must be hanging with the Germans to much), hamburgers, shake and bake, small irish children... you know all of the oddly tasty items that we take for granted.

After I had contemplated the important things in life, I started to think about the more trivial things like who I am becoming and who do I really want to be and that nonsense. It has been interesting to see how I have changed already within the three weeks that I have been here. I know that it will be a really intense 11 weeks ahead, with much self-exploration and reflection, but I am starting to wonder how different I will look at the end of this. Not only psychologically either, physically too. I have been losing weight, growing my beard out, and am letting my hair get long. Maybe when I get home I will be able to come out with major hit records, tour the world, and then leave my career to convert to Islam and change my name Yusuf. Who knows. We can only pray for the hit records.

Peace,
PHW

No comments: