Monday, September 29, 2008

If you don't want to read all of this...I have malaria.

Sunday was an interesting and an inspiring day. We didn't go to a village for worship, which was a change. Pastor Hafermann preached here at the seminary for the first time in about four years. It was oddly comforting going to service in a church not so different from those at home. It made me think about how many different ways and places we have worshipped over these past few weeks. The service was all in Swahili, of course, but it was almost like a traditional Lutheran service back home...only with sweet Swahili hymns. I ended up leaving the service early because I wasn't feeling the greatest.

After service was over we all headed over to Luka's brother(Solomon)'s house. It was a special occasion because it was 40 days after Solomon's burial and we were there to put the cross on the grave. We started by walking down the road to where Solomon is buried, with the cross leading us. I walked with Solomon's young son, Baraka, which Luka now takes care of. He is around 10 years old and the walk up there I had to fight back tears as I saw Baraka doing the same. I have never seen someone so young so strong. The tears that he would wipe away that had welled up and began to sting his eyes was a sobering blow to me. I can only pray that I will be as strong as him during such hard times.

Another beautiful thing about the service was that since Luka and Solomon are Christian and the rest of the family is mostly Muslim, we got to see Christians and Muslims praying and worshipping and respecting one another as human beings. There was no arguing, not bickering, no fighting about it. This is something that I am so proud to see from a Christian perspective. Christians being Christians and not fighting. Respect for the fellow human being is so much stronger than looking at what makes us different.

After the ceremony, the large party of people went back to the house and we ate. Shortly after we had eaten I asked Kyrsten to take me back because again I wasn't feeling well. She told me if I didn't feel well the next morning I should go get my blood checked for malaria. So this morning I did just that, receiving news that I do in fact have malaria. I do not have that severe of case thanks to the anti-malaria medication that I have been taking religiously since before I left for Tanzania. It still doesn't feel good and I am at times miserable, but I am thankful that it is not nearly as bad as it could be. I am also thankful that I have medication that I am taking now for my malaria. Though it is fairly inexpensive for me to buy (around $6) it is incredibly hard for many Tanzanian people to afford.

I hope all is well around home.

Peace,
PHW

No comments: