Sunday, September 21, 2008

I don't like lizards

Well the past couple of days have been interesting. Friday rolled around and my brain was fried from all the swahili. Saturday I tried to study a little bit but I could barely remember any of the words, so I have my brain a break for the day. The Germans left for the weekend, so it was really quite around the seminary. I spent the morning of my Saturday giving a guitar lesson to one of the other language students here. Nothing better than playing a little Cat Stevens on a lazy Saturday in Tanzania.

Sorry that this particular entry is rather scattered, but so is my brain right now. Friday night there was some great excitement. The common room where everybody hangs was having a spontaneous "laptop party" so I went to go get my laptop to join in the fun. When I got to my room I found a 4 inch lizard crawling on the wall. Though I didn't know this before I came, I am apparently fairly creeped out by these little spawns of satan. They move way to fast for their size... and they jump. Yes, I understand they eat harmful mosquitos and flys but so does a big can of Black Flag. So I informed Tim about it and apparently exaggerated the size a bit...whatever...big, small, I don't want it climbing my wall. So brave Steve got the lizard out of our room for us. Tim could have done it but he was laughing to hard at me because I was squirming around because of the heebee jeebees. I don't care what anyone says, I will not have lizards in our place of residence. They are ok outside, but inside is reserved for larger carbon based life forms that look surprisingly a lot like humans.

Saturday we went out to eat for Kyrsten's birthday. It was great food. SO great in fact that I came close to eating it twice. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a bit nauseous, though it was worth it.

I think that the anti-malaria medication that I am taking is keeping me up at night. I wake up drenched in sweat and kinda dehydrated from sweating, I am also starting to have those wonderful, vivid dreams that everybody else has had since we came here. Though I can never remember mine, i just know that when i have them i have troubles falling back to sleep. This cycle of sweating and dreaming has made me a little homesick. The drugs also make me tired during the day, though I am able to battle that during class, thankfully. This is a little snag in my journey, but nothing to be too concerned about yet.

Sunday was rather eventful. We went to a village today, where four choirs showed up and the service lasted 5 hours. That's just the service, not to mention the two hours prior waiting for people to show and then the auction and food after...and the hour drive both ways. When we go to church on Sunday... We go to church. It gets a little long sometimes but there is always things to do and see all day long, even during the service. Today's service was special for all of us though, because Luka's baby was baptized this morning.

well since I am tired of typing vague statements about my weekend, I am going to stop typing.

peace,
PHW

No comments: