Thursday, October 9, 2008

What the Lion King forgot to mention...

We went to Mikumi National Park this week. All I can say is...well I can't really say anything because I am at a loss for words. It has been my dream since I was 5 to see the things that I got to see this weekend. I got to see giraffes, elephants, water buffalo, warthogs, hippos, crocs, jackals, all kinds of birds...and lions. 6 or 7 of lions. The second day on safari we saw two lions stalk a warthog. They were slow, magnificent, majestic.

The real story happened the first day though. Toward the end of our first day on safari we ran across three lions sleeping under a tree. We found a good position, at about 30 feet away and watched as they slept. The male lion would occasionally look up and stare at us. Since it has been my dream to see such beautiful creatures, I climbed out of the window and onto the roof of our vehicle to get a closer look. The lions didn't seem fazed. We sat there staring him and he stared at us. It was about at this time that Mchungaji Hafermann asked if we wanted to get closer. Are you kidding me? Of course! So we pulled around to the other side of the tree which was by an airstrip that the park has. He drove within 10 feet of the Simba, I am not exaggerating. I climbed out the window for a better look, keeping keen eye on the Simba to make sure that I could jump back in the vehicle if he decided he didn't want us there. That's when it happened...the most spectacular scene I have ever witnessed in my life. I want you to keep in mind that I have seem some pretty spectacular things. As a child I once saw a tiger in the zoo vomit. It was green and it was radiant.

No, this sight that I am talking about far surpasses mere tiger vomit. The male lion stood up with all of his beauty and licked the back of the female lion. This apparently was lion foreplay because shortly after he mounted. That's right, I come to Africa and God blesses me with two lions fornicating 10 feet in front of me. This is by no means a lie. I have pictures of the the 6 second lion action, and video footage of the dismount. It may have been the shortest romp I have ever seen, but it was worth taking out a loan to get here. No jokes here. I mean come on...how many people come back home and say "hey we saw some lions, and giraffes and blah blah blah..." I will be coming home saying "I watched two lions do it from ten feet away. How was your past three months...bet you didn't see anything as epic or as randy as that...BOOYA!" Nothing really tops that..."Oh I got married" "yeah but did you see two lions do it up close...didn't think so." This is the ultimate trump card.

In the night we had buffalo scrape up against out little house that we stayed in at night. As we slept there was quite the commotion outside within 300 feet of where were were. A family of elephants came by to drink when some lions decided they wanted to join in on the fun. The family of elephants fought the lions and won, making them disappear into the bush. Their roars could be heard throughout the night. Epic Awesome. This may have been the happiest two days of my life.

Peace,
PHW

No comments: