Monday, December 8, 2008

Long awaited post

Last week we headed to Zanzibar. The place was beautiful and filled with a rich history. Zanzibar is over 95% Muslim so it was an interesting atmosphere to be in. The sights, smells, and sounds of the land of Freddy Mercury were much different from Morogoro, but I didn't feel as though I had left Tanzania. Some people say that it is like a whole new world in Zanzibar, but I don't think that I can agree. I mean right away you begin to notice the differences between Zanzibar and the mainland of Tanzania, but quickly it becomes apparent how tied these places are together.

I think the biggest difference for me and also the hardest one to see was the white people. There were so many white people in Zanzibar, and everyone of them tourists... blatantly tourists. As we were walking the streets to find a place to eat that first night we saw plenty of girls in the shortest of short shorts, super low-cut top, and no real gratitude for anything that they received. Now keep in mind this is a 95% Muslim population. The four U.S. students felt embarrassed, and ashamed at what we saw. We were shocked at the cultural insensitivity of these white people, everywhere. That's when I started to wonder what kind of things have I done over these past few months that have been that offensive to other people? I would like to think that I haven't, but I just don't know.

The beach and the ocean provided much needed relaxation time. It felt good to just not do anything for while. To relax at last. It was the first time I had ever really seen the ocean and definitely the first time to swim in it. I was by no means disappointed by what I had encountered. Wading through the water we had to watch our step because among the seaweed were the sharp spines of sea urchins. Hundreds... Thousands of sea urchins. Thankfully none of us got stuck by them.

Steve, Tim, Luka and I took a small wooden fishing boat out to the reef and snorkeled. I had a great time seeing all of the fish, coral, underwater plant life, bigger sea urchins, and jelly fish.

I should probably mention that throughout the time in Zanzibar I started to feel ill, running fevers and having chills at night and aches during the day. I tried to not let get to me and power through so I could enjoy it as much as possible. It worked kinda.

When we got back to the seminary I got my blood checked and found out that I had malaria. Second time in three months. I think that is a sign that it is time to leave.

I have spent the past few days in a hallucinogenic haze from the excessive amounts of larium that is in the anti-malaria medication and from the malaria itself. It has been a bumpy ride these past four or five days. mostly spent in bed.



Peace,
PHW

No comments: